27. April 2010

Left behind - Zurückgelassen

I saw this left tricycle in the backyard near the studio. It's not a nice backyard, but two little girls sometimes play there - however, not today. For getting some sunlight I had to wait. In the meantime I went to my art suppliers and bought some new panels. (Who has an idea where to find a big choice for panels?) In the end I got the sun O:-)

Ich sah dieses verlassene Dreirad im Hinterhof in der Nähe des Ateliers. Es ist kein schöner Hinterhof, aber zwei kleine Mädchen spielen dort manchmal - aber nicht heute. Um ein wenig Sonnenlicht ins Bild zu bekommen, musste ich warten. In der Zwischenzeit bin ich zu meinem Künstlerbedarf-Händler gelaufen, um neue Panele zu kaufen. (Hat jemand eine Idee, wo ich eine große Auswahl von Panelen finden könnte?) Am Ende bekam ich die Sonne. O:-)

18 x 13cm, oil on canvas panel, Öl auf Leinwandpanel

4 Kommentare:

  1. When you say canvas panel is that the same as a canvas board? I'll send you a link you may find interesting!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Good question O:-) When I've got it right, it's not the same. It's pressed wood, a layer of canvas (cotton, I guess) and some white paint on it. So, they are ready to start.
    Perhaps it's even masonite. I've been thinking on going to a DIY to get a big piece of masonite to make it to smaller. Why not paint without canvas at all?
    I've also painted on canvas board which is kind of cardboard I think. (Isn't it?)
    During the last weeks I was looking for different kinds of panels and I found a lot - but just in the U.S.. Germany seems to sleep. There are just art suppliers that cannot survive without selling low quality paints and thing for scrapbooking a.s.o.. Bremen can be happy to have even two art suppliers, however, when I have a look around the world, there's more so far away *sigh*

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Why don't you order from the USA! I did, I got my oil painting brushes from the states and also some canvas. It doesn't cost that much in postage. You can also paint in oils on watercolour paper as long as you gesso it first so the oil paints don't seep into the paper. You could try using acrylic paint to seal the paper too. We have a local artist here in Lossiemouth who uses paper to paint in oils, it is good as he can use a mount around the paper when it is finished and frame it up behind glass. There are many things you can do and sticking canvas to boards is a popular idea too.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. I forgot to say that once you have gesso the paper or sealed it you then tape it to your drawing board and work on it as if it was a watercolour!

    AntwortenLöschen